Magus International Legal Office
Security Export Control of Japan
The Japanese security export control system is very similar to U.S. EAR (Export Administration Regulations). It is not have to be "Made in Japan", but it covers products/technologies that came into Japan from another country go out to other countries via Japan, too.
Japanese export control system is based on the international regimes such as NSG (Nuclear Suppliers Group: https://www.nsg-online.org/en/ ), MTCR (Missile Technology Control Regime: https://mtcr.info/), AG (The Australia Group: https://australiagroup.net/en/), and WA(The Wassenaar Arrangement on Export Controls for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods and Technologies: https://www.wassenaar.org/).
Therefore, Japanese government designate to Group A countires (used be called WHITE COUNTRIES)those who participating all the regimes, exchanging sufficient information with Japan, and having sufficient security management. Most of Group A is European countries and the United States, but outside of Europe and the United States, South Korea and Argentina are in this category.
The Japanese security export control aims to manage Normal Weapons and Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), and to prevent diffusion them to world wide from Japan. Then, proper Japanese security control is very important so that every country has a risk of terrorism and weapon attacks without proper management.
Japanese Security Export Control Flow Chart
Japanese security export control system works as following flow chart:
*1: What the Export Transaction is:
■ "You" are a resident of Japan
■ Residents caegorizes as follows:
■ Security Export Control covers the case of following (1)-(5):
(1) Export products from Japan by air or ship.
(2) Transfer technologies to other countries by air/ship, or telecommunications.
(3) Transfer products or technologies to non-resident in Japan.
(4) Export from 3rd countries to other 3rd countries directly (drop shipping) with Japanese company's order, payment or other brokerage trade method.
(5) A domestic transaction, but the customer will export the product or technologies overseas(Deemed export). In Japan transaction is also controlled by security export control system.